What's happening in Sci4Dev this week? 03/02/2017
3 February 2017
Announcements and News
- Professor Mark Walport will be the first Chief Executive of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) – BBC News
- Manager and deputy appointed to lead development of second Research Excellence Framework (REF). Kim Hackett has been appointed as the REF Manager and Anna Lang has been appointed as the REF Deputy Manager – HEFCE news
- DFID’s Economic Development Strategy sets out how Britain will boost trade for the world’s poorest countries – Gov.uk
- The World Bank has released its annual World Development Report 2017. This report is different from previous ones as it does not ask ‘what’ needs to change but ‘why’ policy and institutional reforms often fail - Oxfam
- International Council for Science (ICSU) calls on the government of the United States to rescind the Executive Order “Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States” – ICSU
- The Government of India's Department of Science and Technology (DST) and EPSRC and ESRC announce Joint UK/India Energy Demand Reduction in the Built Environment Call. Open for proposals on collaborative research projects focussing on reducing energy demand in the built environment as part of the Newton Bhabha Fund. Deadline 15 March.
- IDRC/CDRI Call for EOIs: Strengthening cyber policy centres in the Global South. The call is open to established research organisations in eligible low-, middle- or upper-middle income countries in sub-Saharan and North Africa, the Middle East, South and South East Asia, and Latin America with strong research and policy engagement track records. Deadline 15 March.
- Innovate UK is to invest up to £1.5 million for the Precision Medicine Programme that develop affordable gene-based diagnostics for non-communicable diseases and child health. These must be targeted specifically at the South African population. Briefing event 3 February. Deadline 17 May.
- EPSRC Interdisciplinary Research Collaboration (IRC) Next Steps Funding – plus call to support new avenues of related research that were not part of the original IRC and to bring in new partners that were not funded through the original collaboration. Deadline 20 June 2017.
- Breaking down the barriers to universal health coverage - WHO
- Performance Agreement between the World Health Organisation and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland – Gov.uk
- 3ie conference Governance and service delivery in India –using national and global evidence for better lives in Delhi. Half day 9 February.
- SOAS World Radio Day will focus on global transitions – the experience of migration, health crises, innovative communication technologies and how they are reflected in radio – London, All day 10 February.
- ODI Webinar: Creating an economy that works for women 2-5pm 21 February
Other news and interesting links