What's happening in Sci4Dev this week? 10/02/2017
10 February 2017
Announcements and News
- EPSRC to study diversity and inclusion barriers in ICT research – EPSRC News
- Trade, not poverty, could become focus of £1.3bn UK aid pot, watchdog warns. Independent Commission for Aid Impact says new prosperity fund is ‘not sufficiently transparent’, as critics warn that it fails to prioritise reducing poverty – The Guardian
- UK steps up work to protect women and girls from trafficking and provide winter care for vulnerable refugees – Gov.UK
- Professor Mark Llewellyn has decided to leave the AHRC at the end of April. Professor Llewellyn has been the AHRC’s Director of Research since January 2012 – AHRC News
- Minister of state for universities, science, research & innovation, officially opened new multi-agency research hub: Cranfield University / NCAS Centre for Atmospheric & Emissions Research – NERC news
- Drug-resistant bugs threaten global malaria control – Wellcome Trust
- Royal Society grants call for African/UK chemistry collaborations. It is for academics based in any Sub-Saharan African country (excluding South Africa) wishing to establish or build on a collaboration with a UK-based researcher in the field of Chemistry. Deadline 7 March.
- IDRC/CRDI Innovations to improve livestock vaccines call aims to support novel ideas or pre-existing innovations to respond to the challenges of existing livestock vaccines in sub-Saharan Africa and South and Southeast Asia. Deadline 21 March.
- Global Food Security (GFS) programme launches second call of its research programme Resilience of the UK food system in a global context –invite only. Deadline 22 March.
- Academy of Medical Sciences with the Royal Society and the British Academy is accepting applications for Newton International fellowships for researchers in Brazil, China, India, Mexico, South Africa and Turkey. Deadline 22 March.
- NERC Green Infrastructure (Urban) Knowledge Exchange (KE) Fellow call inviting proposals that address the issues and opportunities around green infrastructure (GI) for planners in building it into investment decisions for developments in urban areas. Deadline 27 April.
- New practical guide on improving gender equality in research organisations- Science Europe
- Assessment of Kenya's preparedness to disasters caused by natural hazards: floods, drought and disease outbreak – Development Initiative
- Research to Action webinar with UKCDS and Saskia Gent on insights for development funders about how to promote research uptake and impact and more effectively engage and communicate. 23 February 14:00 GMT.
- British Council have two Gulf Symposia: Oman Research Symposium held in Muscat on 13-14 March and Science Collaboration Symposium in the UAE 26-27 March. Please register by 14 February to be eligible for either symposia.
Other news and interesting links
Announcements and News24 March 2017
Announcements and News10 March 2017
Weekly update of news and funding including new blogs on the the Research Excellence Framework,...2 March 2017