What's happening in Sci4Dev this week? 10/03/2017
10 March 2017
Announcements and News
- Spring Budget: The announcement of the first tranche of challenges to be supported by the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF) and additional support for high skilled research talent has been welcomed by the UK’s Research and Innovation leaders - RCUK News
- The International Development Secretary calls on international community to improve global response to humanitarian crises – DFID News
- EU-India partnership strengthens research in social sciences and humanities - ESRC News
- First evidence drug used to combat malaria in pregnancy also protects against sexually transmitted infections – LSHTM News
- International Women's Day 2017: The girls defying all the odds to become scientists and engineers– The Independent
- Global Development Network call for EOIs in productivity improvements in the private and public sectors. The purpose of this call is to support high calibre and policy-oriented research on the topic of firm level productivity emanating from developing countries. Deadline 6 April.
- ESRC, Department of Biotechnology (DBT) in India, DFID and the MRC invites proposals under a call to fund global health research addressing the health needs of women and children globally. Deadline 12 April.
- BBSRC David Phillips Fellowship (DPF) will provide support for researchers wishing to establish their first independent research group. Deadline 11 May.
- The MRC, the National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA) and the Thailand Research Fund (TRF) announce that they will be launching joint calls for research proposals on Infectious Diseases and Non-Communicable Diseases. Partners will be holding a workshop for researchers on 17-19 May 2017 in Bangkok to explore UK-Thai opportunities for collaboration in these research areas.
- EPSRC call fordiagnostics, prosthetics and orthotics to tackle health challenges in developing countries through innovative healthcare technologies. Deadline 25 May.
- MRC/AHRC GCRF Global Public Health: Partnership Awards call for proposals that respond to the challenge of bringing together expertise in medical science and health interventions in developing countries, with an understanding of local knowledge and history, cultural dynamics, community engagement, and trust. An event will be held in London to find out more about this award on 12 April in London. Deadline 8 June.
Reports and Events
- The social realities of knowledge for development – Impact Initiative
- The economic impact of solar lighting – ETH Zurich
- Planet Earth Institute: The future of agriculture in Africa 15 March in London
- ODI A new approach to assessing ‘leave no one behind’ 29 March in London or online
- ESRC Sustainability in turbulent times: How can research, policy and business meet global challenges? 16 March in London.
Other news and interesting links
- Podcast - What institutions do countries really need? Minister of State for International Development delivers a keynote speech, offering his reflections on the World Bank’s 2017 World Development Report and how they link to DFID’s latest approaches.
- Online tool explores countries’ climate action plans – SciDev.Net
- In their own words: challenges and opportunities for Tanzanian women researchers – INASP blog
- The UK Space Agency has asked the UK GEO/CEOS Office for community feedback on your experiences of using Copernicus Data over the past year by 17 March – Copernicus Relay
Announcements and News24 March 2017
Weekly update of news and funding including new blogs on the the Research Excellence Framework,...2 March 2017
Announcements and News
24 February 2017
- The UK will give South Sudan and Somalia aid packages of £...