What's happening in Sci4Dev this week? 24/02/2017
24 February 2017
Announcements and News
- The UK will give South Sudan and Somalia aid packages of £100 million each following famine warnings in the two war-torn states - The Independent
- A major new £100 million investment by the government into the development of an innovative multi-disciplinary science and technology research centre (the Rosalind Franklin Institute) was announced yesterday by the Business Secretary – EPSRC News
- First Minister announced that more than one hundred organisations across Scotland are to benefit from almost £10 million of funding to support local action to tackle climate change – Scottish Government News
- Antimicrobial Resistance: The Need for Arts and Humanities – AHRC News
- HIV attack on brain cells points to new dementia treatments. Scientists have discovered that a protein closely involved in AIDS-related dementia could provide clues for treating other forms of dementia – MRC News
- The Government of India's Department of Science and Technology (DST), EPSRC and ESRC Energy-demand reduction in the built environment call requesting proposals for collaborative research projects focusing on reducing energy demand in the built environment, as part of the Newton Bhabha Fund. Deadline 15 March.
- AHRC Research Networking Highlight notice for International Development to encourage the development of research networking proposals which explore the contribution that arts and humanities research can make to challenges, policy and/or practice relating to international development. It aims to support the development of sustained international boundary crossing collaborations with LMICs which receive ODA. Deadline 25 April.
- NERC, EPSRC and India's DST, jointly invite proposals for a new three-year research programme to improve water quality. The programme aims to improve water quality by providing a better understanding of the sources and fate of different pollutants. Deadline 26 April.
- MRC/AHRC GCRF Global Public Health: Partnership Awards pre-call announcement. Sign up to get information as soon as the call is announced. An event will be held in London to find out more about this award on 12 April. Applications will be received from mid-March. Deadline 8 June.
- The surprising link between China’s one-child policy and rising house prices – IFPRI blog
- New era for health in The Gambia? – The Lancet
- The Cambridge Climate Lecture Series is a new enterprise that aims to dramatically increase the level of public interest and engagement on the topic of climate change. From 23 February to 13 March – Online or Cambridge.
- ODI What institutions do countries really need? 1 March in London or Online.
- ESRC ‘A taxing challenge? Analysing and supporting tax policy design in low and middle income countries’ 15 March in London.
Other news and interesting links